Still Catching Up...

I wish I could devote more time to blogging these days, but the best I can do is to post when I can.

Stay tuned...

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Doorstop

For the past 3 nights, the Dandelion has issued a challenge. After two months in his "big boy bed" he has decided that he does not want to got to bed when we turn out the lights and he is going to prove to us that he doesn't need to. We knew it was coming, but we weren't quite prepared for how much effort he is willing to put into his defiance. He does not cry or scream. He does not come out of his room. He does not try to get our attention at all. Instead, he quietly climbs out of bed, turns on the light and plays and then acts completely innocent and cute when we come in.

Here is how tonight played out...

First he played with some cars that we had been letting him sleep with. I took them away and tucked him back in. Next I found him dressed in his fireman costume. I put him back in his pajamas and under the covers and took away his dress up clothes. After not hearing anything for a while, I went to check on him and found him sitting on the floor in a pile of books. I put him back in bed again. And again. And again. Each time he had gotten up and turned the light on and found something new to play with. His pillows were scattered about. His clothes all over the floor. He was in bed wearing shoes. And worst of all he was still awake 2.5 hours after I first tucked him in. He was slowing down though.

Finally, at 11pm I went to check on him. I couldn't open the door more than 2 inches. The light was still on so I could see what was blocking the door... the Dandelion was asleep against the door. It was as if he was choosing the ultimate position to prevent me from putting him back into his bed.


After a little bit of gently nudging him with the door, I was able to push him back enough to get in and move him into the bed. I wonder what tomorrow night will bring...

1 comment:

Ali said...

Luke does the same thing. The other day he took his entire bed apart, sheets and all, took all the books off his book shelf, stuff out of his closet etc. Now, I let him goof off for a bit and then threaten him the 3rd time I go down there that I will take away puppy if he does not stay in bed. works like a charm.