For Easter my parents sent the kids some birdseed ornaments to put out for our birds. The birds really like them - and it is fun to watch them try to land on one. So far the Downy Woodpecker and Nuthatch have had the most success, but all of the birds have enjoyed the seed that has fallen to the ground. I think we will make some more when these are gone.
1/3 cup gelatin (this equates to 2 of the little boxes each of which contain 3 envelopes of powder)
1 1/2 cups water
8 cups seed
1. mix gelatin and water on low heat until gelatin is melted clear
2. remove from heat and stir in seed (VERY STICKY!)
3. pack tightly in shaped container OR lay out in say a cookie sheet with sides if you want to do cut outs. Keep in mind this is jello - so unmolding it from a bundt pan or other container requires soaking in cold water.
4. refrigerate for 2-4 hours
5. dry on rack for couple of days
6. if you do cut-outs and want to hang as an ornament, use a pencil to make the hole for hanging, just be sure to give it a wide margin.
Thanks for the recipe, mom!
4 months ago