Still Catching Up...

I wish I could devote more time to blogging these days, but the best I can do is to post when I can.

Stay tuned...

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Adventures In Cooking - Meatballs

Would you believe that I have never made meatballs before? Well, maybe you would. Anyway, I tried a new recipe (with a little variation based on what was in the cupboards) from my favorite kids food magazine - Taste of Home's Fun Food. The Dandelion slept through dinner, but everyone else gave it a thumbs up.

Meatball Skillet Meal
with slight changes

Ingredients:

1/3 c quick cooking oats
2 T finely chopped green pepper
2 T finely chopped onion
2 T dried chives
1 t dried basil
1 t dried oregano
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper

1 lb ground turkey

half bag of carrot chips
remainder of pepper & onion, sliced
1 can (14.5 oz) of diced tomatoes

4 cups rice

Directions:

1- Start cooking rice.

2- To "finely chop" pepper & onion, I used the magic bullet. They are less conspicuous that way.

3- mix the first 9 ingredients together. Crumble ground turkey over and mix well. Shape into 1 1/4 inch balls.

4- over medium heat cook meatballs until no longer pink; drain. Add carrots, peppers & onions; cook uncovered for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes; heat through.

Serve over rice. Makes 6 servings.

No comments: