Still Catching Up...

I wish I could devote more time to blogging these days, but the best I can do is to post when I can.

Stay tuned...

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Christmas Leftovers

I found some in my purse... JK (Bad MOMS Club joke)

Actually, it still pretty much looks like Christmas around here, as I haven't really felt the need to take down the decorations yet. Usually I take them down some time before Valentine's Day, I'll probably do the same this year. But I have put away some things, like Christmas books, music & wrapping paper.

As I packed up all of the wrapping supplies, I noticed that we had every color of the rainbow in tissue paper. I'd like to think that it is just because of general accumulation over the past few years from Christmas & birthdays, but it could be that I bought a bunch when we overhauled the gift wrap section of Sterling Hallmark in 2003 and I still haven't used it all.

I was in need of a craft for the Dandelion's playgroup and figured there had to be something I could do with a bunch of crinkled tissue paper. I pulled an idea from the Siblings Busy Book and gathered the materials for sun catchers. In the end, some unexpected snow came our way and we skipped playgroup. Hopefully I will still get to do my craft at the end of the session, but for my sanity's sake the kids did it this afternoon.

The Tumbleweed arranged her pieces of tissue paper neatly into a rainbow, but the Dandelion had a very different technique and a much shorter attention span. But I think he was much prouder of his finished project.













Supplies - Tissue paper, contact paper (you can find it at Staples, with the book covers), scissors (to cut it into a shape after), a hole punch and ribbon to hang with.

Time:
Mom prep - about 10 minutes of cutting up tissue paper
(not counting the trip to Staples)
Dandelion (age 2.5) - 1 minute of haphazard dumping
Tumbleweed (age 4.5) - 15 minutes of careful selection

1 comment:

Shelly said...

The girls made these at our homeschooling co-op a few weeks ago and loved them. Looks like you guys had fun making them!