Still Catching Up...

I wish I could devote more time to blogging these days, but the best I can do is to post when I can.

Stay tuned...

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

"I on the grand ole flag"

The Tumbleweed's school has been teaching the kids various traditional patriotic songs this year and to help her learn, we have had the "Yankee Doodle Mickey" CD on in the car (not all the time, just one of the 6). The Dandelion has even started to request "I on the grand ole flag", otherwise know as "Grand Old Flag", and has joined the Tumbleweed in singing it during parts of the chorus.

The CD has brought me some good laughs in the car as the Tumbleweed sings along to "This is My Country", "God Bless America" and the National Anthem. Here are some of my favorite lines (that I can remember - there are a lot more)

"from the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans, quite with foam."

"your the emblem of the land I love, the home of the three and the gray"


and of course the Dandelion's best line...

[following "stuck a feather in his cap and"] "call it peckeroni" (his word for pepperoni).

My final patriotic favorite snip-it comes from the Pledge of Allegiance, which the kids have been learning since the first day of school. The Tumbleweed has it down completely except one word. I can't tell if that is her change, or if the school is avoiding the "God" issue. Anyway, her pledge now ends with..

"One nation, under guard, with liberty and justice for all"

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I love these! It's so funny what kids come up with - Ella sings "Yankee Doodle Candy" :)