Still Catching Up...

I wish I could devote more time to blogging these days, but the best I can do is to post when I can.

Stay tuned...

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Going Solo

It is the beginning of a different era: the Tumbleweed went to her first birthday party where parents didn't stay. Of course I did not know this when I arrived. All of the other birthday parties we have been to have been the kind where parents stay, either to help the children or to socialize on the "sidelines".

So, imagine my surprise when we showed up to today's party and none of the other parents were staying. Since the Tumbleweed isn't timid I didn't think that she would mind, I was just worried that she wouldn't behave appropriately. Add to that, I didn't really know the parents (met mom last week at another child's party) and they were going to be driving all of the kids to the local police station for a tour. [Note to self - wash the crumb and glitter covered carseat ASAP!]

Since she was okay with the idea, off I went with 2 hours of freedom. Hmmm.... what to do? Well, I called home and it sounded like a trip to the grocery store was in order, so that's where I went. I can't recall the last time I went to the store by myself, or the last time I went on the weekend. I'm not really sure it was better. I may not have had the kids, but man was the store crowded. I think it will be a long time before I shop on a weekend again - even with the kids it is a lot more pleasant to shop when there are small/no lines.

And the birthday party seemed to go well. It was a small group of kids from her class (mostly boys) and the tour of the police station at the end of the party was pretty cool from all accounts - and according to the mom the tour was free! Neither the parents or the Tumbleweed reported any problems so if there were any, I guess I'll never know.

Another step toward independence!

No comments: