Still Catching Up...

I wish I could devote more time to blogging these days, but the best I can do is to post when I can.

Stay tuned...

Monday, September 7, 2009

"I cared"

About a week and a half ago, the kids were playing quietly together in the family room while I prepared for dinner. The windows were wide open, so when a loud dirt bike decided to turn around in front of the house and speed off in the other direction, the sound filled the house.

Instantly I hear the Dandelion screaming and running into the kitchen. My first thought was that he had fallen and was hurt the way he was crying. As I hugged him and he calmed down, he managed to say, "Mo-cycle....I cared [scared]...." He was shaken up for a good half hour - even after we confirmed the motorcycle had left.

Since then every time a motorcycle (even the not as loud ones) goes by he drops everything and comes running to find me for some hugs saying "I cared". I wish I could put a "no Motorcycles" sign in our front yard when we are home so he doesn't have to be scared... possibly next to the "kids sleeping" sign that I need to prevent weed-whacking during nap time.

I guess the thing that surprised me the most was that he was able to verbalize that he was scared. I was so proud of him for that. Identifying his emotions will be a big part of his growth from 2-year-old toddler to 3-year-old preschooler this year and I was impressed that he knew he was feeling scared.

I suppose getting some extra cuddles every day (yes it happens multiple times every day) isn't so bad... but why do motorcycles have to be so loud!?!

No comments: