Still Catching Up...

I wish I could devote more time to blogging these days, but the best I can do is to post when I can.

Stay tuned...

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Organizing Week

Last week we had a great guest speaker at our MOMS Club Monthly Social. She came and spoke to us about organizing, specifically tips for toys and mail. She was quick to point out that if you organize a little every day, it doesn't take a lot of time. Guilty. As life has gotten busier & busier, something had to get cut from the day and around here the "paper jungle" has taken over.

Another key message from the presentation was that the kids need to learn about organizing. I asked the Tumbleweed if she could think of something we could organize and we would do a project this weekend. I thought she would suggest something like "books" or "my doll clothes" or something like that. Nope. She said, "I can think of a lot of things, I think we need a whole week!"

To kick off "Organizing Week", I thought we should tackle a project that would easily illustrate the process for her. We decided on the "girly things" in her desk drawers. We spent about a half hour sorting pony tail holders, headbands, bracelets, necklaces, etc. It probably would have been faster, but the Dandelion ran the stroller through the piles as we were almost done. After assessing what we might need, we went to Walmart and found organizers that would hold the items. She was excited to put everything back in the drawers with a special place for each thing. Tomorrow we will make labels so she doesn't forget where everything goes!




So with renewed motivation, I am ready to tackle the clutter. Baby Step #1 - I cleaned off my desk and sorted everything. Well, the stuff that actually belonged on the desk - which was about 25% of what was actually on the desk. Baby Step # 2 is going to be using my new system for the rest of the week. After that I will decide the next step ;)

For more about our guest speaker, check out Love Your Space Organizing

No comments: