Still Catching Up...

I wish I could devote more time to blogging these days, but the best I can do is to post when I can.

Stay tuned...

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Olympic Spirit

I love the Olympics - summer & winter. Moguls, Speed Skating, Curling, Figure Skating - I enjoy it all. I love the thrill of competition and the stories of personal accomplishment from around the world. Since the Olympics air after the kids go to bed, I decided to host an "Olympic Lunch Bunch" and have some friends over to get them into the Olympic Spirit.


The menu included:

Gold Medals - Grilled Cheese Sandwiches cut into circles*
*if you don't have a circle cookie cutter try the lid from a jar of peanut butter
Olympic Torches - tortilla "scoops" with salsa & cheese
Bobsleds, Snowboards & Skis - slices of celery, apples & carrots
Curling Stones - mini bagels
Sticks & Pucks - pretzel sticks & raisins*
*if you like coconut, you can add coconut shavings ("ice")
Ice Rinks - Italian ice cups
Olympic Rings - Life Savers gummy rings

For our craft, we made:

Paper Plate Olympic Rings
~ 5 paper plates with the centers cut out
~ color each with one of the 5 colors (red, blue, yellow, green, black)
~ staple together

It was a lot of fun for the kids, but I think I had just as much fun planning it. Thanks for menu ideas Kasey & Matt! Go USA!


**Update: This post was featured on TipJunkie with a whole bunch of other Olympic ideas. You can check it out here...**

1 comment:

Michele said...

This was so cool. Love that you were featured on TipJunkie! I wish we could have come to join you!