Still Catching Up...

I wish I could devote more time to blogging these days, but the best I can do is to post when I can.

Stay tuned...

Friday, May 1, 2009

Out of the mouth of a 4-year-old...

Snip-its from daily life...

A few weeks ago while we were at the Y, we stopped to watch one of the Tumbleweed's friends in her swimming lesson. I wanted her to see the "cool things" older kids can do when they learn to put their faces in the water and jump off the side of the pool, two things that she was not a big fan of the last time she took lessons. Her comment afterward... "I really liked her bathing suit".

Fast forward two weeks. We are shopping at Target and go past the rack of bathing suits in the Girls section. I hear "Mommy wait! When can I get bathing suit underwear?" I turn to see her pointing at a bikini, like the one her friend had. "Not today" was all I could manage without laughing...

....

Tumblweed: "Mommy, I want to send this picture to Nana & Papa."
Me: "Okay, honey. Would you like an envelope?"
Tumbleweed: "Yes. And a special mail sticker too."

We have had to have discussions in the past that postage stamps are not for art projects. Apparently this is a difficult concept, because rubber stamps are for art projects and stickers are for art projects and a postage stamp looks a lot like a sticker but is too special for art projects.

We finally got it all clarified after "Post Office Week" at school. I let the school borrow my stamp collection and the kids used magnifying glasses to study the stamps, and the Tumbleweed came home talking about how stamps have funny edges. Now she knows how to tell which ones are "mail stickers".

....

The Tumbleweed approaches Mommy, who is sitting at the computer looking at pictures of the kids...

The Tumbleweed: "Mommy, when will I be 4 and a half?"
Mommy: "In September, honey. Why?"
The Tumbleweed: "How long is it 'til September?"
Mommy: "Several months. Why?"
The Tumbleweed: "But I want to use your computer now not in September.
Mommy: (puzzled) "Why will you use my computer in September?"
The Tumbleweed: "Because when you are 4 and a half you can use a computer and click pictures. I know 'cuz I saw it on TV"


And then it made sense. She saw the "I am 4 and a half and I'm a PC" commercial.

She has asked several times about when she can have a camera... and now it's a computer... next week she'll want an Ipod!

No comments: