Still Catching Up...

I wish I could devote more time to blogging these days, but the best I can do is to post when I can.

Stay tuned...

Thursday, September 11, 2008

I can't believe...

Recently I have seen some new commercials that have had me saying "I can't believe..."

1. I can't believe they thought this would sell jeans. I believe it is Lee that is running a commercial for comfort fitting jeans, with a tummy compressing panel and "no gap" waistband. Sounds good right? Now - given the qualities stated in the commercial I would think - "hey, maybe I should try a pair of these jeans," but then I saw the people wearing them and thought "oh, those jeans are for really skinny people" So they might be great, but I would have liked to see women in the commercial who would actually benefit from these jeans. Instead they had beautiful, skinny models who have probably never had a "tummy" and probably can find a hundred pairs of jeans that would fit them perfectly. So either they screwed up, or I wasn't their target audience...

2. I can't believe they make "odor-eating" paint. Yes, that's right. Dutch Boy makes paint to paint your walls with that will eliminate everyday household odors (it has baking soda in it). I can't decide how this makes me feel. On one hand, I don't like smells so it would be a good thing. On the other hand, household smells usually mean something needs to be cleaned.

3. I can't believe they are airing commercials about how "good" High Fructose Corn Syrup is. And, boy they are playing them a lot! Basically the corn farmers are trying to change people's opinions that High Fructose Corn Syrup is bad for you. Well, I am sorry, it is bad. So are cigarettes. Just because it isn't illegal to make something doesn't make it good for you, moderation or not. It just means that the government isn't stepping in to tell us what to do, we have to think for ourselves!

From the Book "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes... "Sugars—sucrose and high-fructose corn syrup specifically—are particularly harmful, probably because the combination of fructose and glucose simultaneously elevates insulin levels while overloading the liver with carbohydrates." The book has a lot more of the science behind this, but there are a lot of reasons why we should watch out for sweeteners in our diets.

Unbelievable.

No comments: